Profile Information of YASIN ARAFAT TOHA, Advocate & Columnist
Profile Information
I am an Advocate of District and Sessions Judge Court, Dhaka, Bangladesh. I am focusing on Criminal, Civil, Corporate, Family & Cyber Laws. I strongly believe that judges, lawyers, law professors and law students are integral parts of the process of ensuring justice in society. I hope that I will be able to make a revolutionary change in the judicial arena by achieving my excellence in the legal world.
§ Shomaji & Associates, 30, Court House Street, Kotwali, Dhaka-1100, Bangladesh.
Barrister Abdur Razzaq & Associates, Room No. 352, Main building, Supreme court lawyers association building, Shahbag, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.
Professional Experience:
Lawyer | Criminal & Civil Litigation | Legal Researcher | Columnist
I am a practicing lawyer based in Dhaka with a strong focus on criminal, civil, and corporate litigation. My work is driven by precision, deep legal research, and a commitment to delivering practical and strategic solutions for clients.
Currently, I serve as an Associate at The Law Counsel (Barrister Abdur Razzaq & Associates), where I work extensively on Death References, Criminal Appeals, Revisions, and ICT-related matters. Alongside this, I am an Associate at Shomaji & Associates under Learned Advocate Ehsanul Haque Shomaji, Former Special Prosecutorial Adviser (Status: Attorney General for Bangladesh), Ministry of Home, and Former Public Prosecutor, Metropolitan Sessions Court and Durniti Dhaman Comission, where I prepare cases, draft appeals, revision, argument, several petitions, and support trial strategy in complex criminal matters.
As a Partner at Lex & Judicature, Advocates & Barristers, I handle a wide range of civil and criminal disputes, combining litigation strategy with in-depth legal analysis. I also serve as a Panel Lawyer for FnF Pharmaceuticals Ltd., advising on corporate, civil, and criminal legal issues.
My legal foundation was shaped through my role at Dilruba Shormin, PhD & Associates, where I worked on cyber law, family law, and criminal litigation, developing strong drafting and analytical skills.
Beyond the courtroom, I am deeply engaged in legal writing and public discourse. I write columns for The Daily Observer and contribute as a content writer for The Daily Inqilab. I also serve as a News Editor (Online) at The Daily International, focusing on legal journalism and analysis. Earlier in my career, I worked as a reporter and correspondent for national dailies, which strengthened my ability to communicate complex legal issues clearly and effectively.
Notable Cases Experience
International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) Matters:
Assisted Senior Advocate Barrister Imran A. Siddiq before the Appellate Division in Khan Akram vs. International Crimes Tribunal, resulting in acquittal.
Provided legal research support in:
- Chief Prosecutor vs. Maulana Abul Kalam Muhammad Yusuf & Others
- Chief Prosecutor vs. Sheikh Sirajul Haque alias Siraj Master & Others
- Obaidul Haque Taher vs. International Crimes Tribunal
- Abdul Latif Talukdar vs. International Crimes Tribunal
Death Reference & Capital Cases:
- Assisted Barrister Ehsan A. Siddiq in Death Reference No. 121/2018 & Criminal Appeal No. 4110/2021 (Brahmanbaria murder case) — acquittal secured.
- Assisted Barrister Imran A. Siddiq in Death Reference No. 110/2018 & Criminal Appeal No. 9512/2018 (Gazipur robbery case) — acquittal secured.
- Worked on multiple death reference matters before the High Court Division.
Criminal Appeals:
- Worked as a associate of Barrister Abdur Razzaq & Associates in high-profile appeals, including:
- Hazaribagh Seven Murder Case
- Pallabi Six Murder Case
- Jamil Akhtar Ratan Murder Case (Rajshahi Medical College)
- Tawfiq Hasan Kidnap & Murder Case (Kushtia)
Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) Cases:
- Represented clients as defense counsel in major ACC matters, including:
- State vs. Selim Ahmed & Others (Apan Jewellers gold & diamond case)
- ACC vs. Ismail Hossain Samrat
- ACC vs. Shamima Noor Papia
- ACC vs. Salma Jesmin
- ACC vs. Major General Abu Sayeed Masud (Retd.)
- Handled multiple high-profile corruption cases.
Munshiganj Triple Murder Case (2021):
- Acted as defense counsel (Shomaji & Associates) for accused Shihab, Sakib, and Shamim.
- Played a key role in trial proceedings before Druto Bichar Tribunal No. 03, Dhaka.
Destiny Tree Plantation Case:
- Represented key accused including Rafiqul Amin (MD), Mohammad Hossain (Chairman), and Lt. Gen. Harun-ur-Rashid (Retd.) as part of the defense team.
Digital Security Act (DSA) Case (Dhaka Medical):
- Served as defense counsel in Dr. Nurunnahar vs. Dr. Shah Md. Faisal Iskandar (2022–2025).
Family Law (Custody Matters):
- Represented clients in multiple custody, denmohor, restitution disputes, including cases involving:
- Barrister Tahziba Hossain case
- Barrister Sirajum Monir Subha vs. Md. Rabiul Alam
- Jesmin vs. Badsha Alam case
- A.M. Ekramul Hasan vs. Zobaida Hasan case
Narcotics Cases:
- Acted as defense counsel in major drug-related cases, including:
- State vs. Choice Rahman (including 302 kg heroin case)
- State vs. Al Amin (Keraniganj)
Non-referred Articles in English:
‘Constitution Reforms: Amendment or rewriting’, The Daily Observer, Sunday, 22 Sep, 2024
‘Socialism in the Black Paw of Village Politics’, The Muslim Times, 1 July, 2024
‘Will the Palestinian crisis be resolved ?’, The Muslim Times, Sunday, 15 Oct, 2024
‘Rural Politics is the cancer of society’, The Muslim Times, Sunday, 18 June, 2023
‘Awakening human values in addressing crimes’, The Daily Observer, Thursday, 2 June, 2022
‘Moving country forward with patriotism.’ The Daily Observer, 7 December, 2022
Non-refereed Articles and commentaries in Bengal
I regularly contribute Religional, Territorial, Educational, Economical, political Articles and commentaries to the leading Bengali national newspaper Inqilab, Desh Rupantor, Somoyer Alo, Bangladesher Khobor, Jugantor, Ittefaq and some Magazins published from Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Criminal Matters:
Conducted legal research and Trial
matters on various aspects of Criminal laws including Murder and Homicide, Nari
Nirjatan Cases, Digital Security Act Cases, Arms related offences etc. and
Drafted Criminal Appeals and Revisions, Review, regular Bails, Bail in pending
Appeal in several Criminal Cases etc.
Civil Matters:
Conducted legal research on various
aspects of civil law including Suit for Declaration, Suit for Declaration of
Title and Recovery of Khas Possession, Suit for Recovery of Khas Possession,
Suit for Permanent Injunction, Suit for Mandatory Injunction, Suit for the
Cancellation of Deed or Suit for the Cancellation of the Document, Suit for
Partition, Suit for the Specific Performance of Contract etc.
Corporate Matters:
Conducted legal research on various
aspects of Corporate law including the Cheque Dishonour Cases.
Specialization:
Litigation (Civil & Criminal)
Laws Critisism
Legal Research Analysis
Legal Drafting
Digital Journalism
Column Writing
Field work:
Sep.2022 –
Nov.2022 Smoking and Use of Tobacco Products
(Control) Act:
(Kustia Zone) Implementation and Reality



Comments
Post a Comment